Residents of the Sunrise apartments on 122nd Avenue in Maple Ridge were treated to some fresh air Friday night, while firefighters cleared the building of smoke.
Fire crews were alerted to a blaze in the apartment’s underground parkade at about 7 p.m., said Maple Ridge’s assistant fire chief Mark Smitton.
A fire started in a pile of furniture stacked up near the entrance to the underground, and quickly spread a nearby car. One car was destroyed, two others damaged, but the flames did not spread to any of the apartments, Smitton said. Nevertheless, all residents were evacuated for about four hours, while crews cleared out the smoke that spread because people had their windows open.
RCMP Cpl. Alanna Dunlop said the serious crimes unit is working with fire officials to find the cause. But the investigation, she said, is still in the beginning stages.
@ Copyright 2013