Three people were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation on Thursday afternoon after a fire broke out in one of the second-storey units of an apartment building at 11926 222nd St. in Maple Ridge.
Residents of Cypress Apartments had already put out the fire by the time firefighters arrived.
The bulk of the fire was extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher by the residents inside the unit, Maple Ridge fire chief Dane Spence told The TIMES.
Its unsure about what started the fire at this time. It started in a unit on the second floor. The individual who rents that apartment has gone to hospital with smoke inhalation, Spence explained.
Firefighters tossed a smoldering suitcase inside a shopping cart from a balcony of second-storey west-facing unit.
The fire damage is contained to the one east-facing unit. However there was smoke throughout the whole second floor, Spence added.
Traffic was snarled along Dewdney Trunk Road and 222nd Street until about 5 p.m. this afternoon.
@ Copyright 2013