With the dry conditions and heat of the summer, Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge fire departments are warning residents to be cautious at all times to avoid accidental fires like those that occurred this past weekend.
"There were two grass fires, a brush fire and a garbage fire," Pitt Meadows fire chief Don Jolley said
of recent incidents, "caused either by the heat or discarded cigarettes."
In Maple Ridge, a small bark mulch fire in a planter at the Westminster Savings branch at 224th Street and Lougheed Highway was also attended by fire crews Saturday.
"People need to be extremely careful now," Jolley said.
He noted that anything that could serve as an ignition source needs to be dealt with properly and not discarded carelessly.
This includes cigarette butts, pieces of glass, and flammable materials.
Both grass fires in Pitt Meadows were in farm fields, the brush fire was in the bark mulch behind the Fairways near Meadow Gardens Golf Club, and the garbage fire was in Harris Road Park.
"The hot weather certainly is an issue," Jolley noted.
@ Copyright 2013