A fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom in one of the 48 units in Richmond Court in Maple Ridge on Tuesday.
The bedroom was gutted by the blaze and the rest of the home was damaged by smoke and water.
According to neighbours, the bedroom was fully engulfed by the time firefighters arrived.
“The flames were shooting six or seven feet at least out of the window,” said neighbour Rodney Clough.
Another neighbour, Tina Delorme, said Loreen Birchmore lives in the unit with her two children, James, 17, who has special needs, and Hayley, four.
“Loreen was so devastated,” Clough said. “She was so upset about losing her kids’ stuff and Christmas presents.”
Clough and Delorme hope people will step up to help deal with the loss due to fire and water damage.
“She’s a single mom. I’ve seen the track record of this town coming through when needed,” said Delorme, adding that no one was injured in the blaze.
One neighbouring unit is vacant and the other did not sustain any damage.
Richmond Court is next to Glenwood Elementary School and Lion’s Park.
To donate contact Tina Delmore at 604-314-4891.