NORTH Shore seniors are fortunate to have a variety of recreation options.
For those living in North Vancouver's Lower Lonsdale area, the Seniors Centre at John Braithwaite Community Centre is operated in partnership with North Shore Neighbourhood House and is a popular gathering place. According to a written statement, the centre offers a variety of low-cost programs for active seniors of all ages, including social activities, arts, recreation, health, wellness and fitness. Homemade soups, sandwiches and entrees are available on Wednesdays and Fridays, a great opportunity to meet a friend for lunch. The trips and outings program helps new members to the community get to know their neighbours and their way around the Lower Mainland.
In addition, and in response to community need, the centre is expanding opportunities for less active, older seniors. With the increasing number of seniors living alone in the Lower Lonsdale area, many over 85, it is staff's goal to provide more rec-reation and social opportunities for less active or isolated seniors as well as those experiencing early memory loss. John Braithwaite offers a variety of health, wellness and social programs that support independence and well-being, as well as programs that improve functional mobility, balance and reduce the risk of falls.
A new program, Healthy Body, Balance and Brain, is taught by Gail Roxburgh, a trained fitness instructor, and is designed for people who have early memory loss and/or challenges with walking and balance. Caregivers are welcome to attend.
Additional programs for less active seniors include:
- Golden Circle: Social, health and recreation activities Tuesdays, 1-3 p.m. at John Braithwaite; and Thursdays, 1-3 p.m. at Kiwanis Towers, 170 West Second St., North Vancouver.
- Lunch & Social: Wednesdays at John Braithwaite, 11: 45 a.m. -2: 30 p.m.
- Steady Feet: Wednesdays and Fridays, Level 1, 1: 15-2: 15 p.m.; and, Level 2, 2: 30-3: 30 p.m.
- Memory Games For Your Body, Balance and Brain: A preventive program, Mondays 1-3 p.m.
- Healthy Body, Balance And Brain: For seniors with early memory loss, Thursdays, 1-3 p.m.
- Bus Trips And Outings: Offered weekly with several choices for less active seniors, including coffee and scenic tours of the Lower Mainland.
For more information, contact Robyn McGuinness, seniors program co-ordinator, at 604-982-8326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT'S GOING ON FOR SENIORS
Call for Contestants: The public is invited to audition for Chartwell's annual Senior Star singing and musical instrument competition that will take place on June 28. To arrange for an audition, contact Churchill House Retirement Community at 604-904-1199.
New Chapter; New Life Story: A conversation series to explore identity and continued contribution facilitated by instructor Pat Bronson May 22, 29, June 5 and 12, 10 a.m.-noon at the Silk Purse Arts Centre, 1570 Argyle Ave., West Vancouver. Learn how to unlock creative potential and embrace designing what's next in your life. Fee: $59 which includes a journal. Registration: 604-684-4132, email@example.com or www.patsvision.com.