Cat saved from Maple Ridge garage blaze

Fire officials ruled a Thursday night house fire on Dover Road as ‘accidental.’

Roxanne Hooper / Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows Times
November 8, 2013 11:56 AM

The two-bay garage in this Dover Road home was gutted Thursday evening during a blaze that started while the young homeowner was working on a car.

Firefighters were able to rescue the family cat from a Maple Ridge home last night, after a blaze that started in the garage.
The fire occurred just before 8 p.m. on Thursday, in the 21800 block of Dover Road.
The homeowner was working on a car in the garage earlier in the evening, when a small fire started, explained Maple Ridge fire chief Dane Spence.
“He initially put it out, or thought he had it out,” Spence explained. But half an hour to 40 minutes later, a fire started again.
This time, the young man was unable to extinguish the blaze, and local fire crews were called in.
The garage was gutted, and the top floor above the garage in the two-storey home received “significant smoke damage.”
There were no other humans home at the time of the fire, but Spence said his team was able to safely extract the family cat from inside the house.
The man was taken by ambulance to hospital, but later released.
Spence said the fire is classified as “accidental.”


© Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows Times
Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows Times

Email to a Friend

Close

Opinion POLL

Should businesses be eligible to vote in civic elections as separate entities from the people who own them?

or  view results

Popular Times

Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.