All three Maple Ridge fire halls as well the Pitt Meadows fire department were called to fight a large fire that burned two houses Friday night in the 11400 block of 234A Street.
The fire was started after some teenagers set off fireworks in their backyard, according to fire chief Dane Spence, and then grew "extremely quickly."
The call came in at about 10:40 p.m. on Friday night, and by the time fire crews arrived both houses were already on fire, assistant fire chief Howard Exner explained.
The house where the fire originated was completely destroyed and the neighbouring house was extensively damaged by fire, smoke, and water, according to Exner.
A third house was superficially damaged by the fire with the siding and windows affected.
Seven people were displaced from the two homes.
"Emergency social services were called out last night," Exner said on Saturday. "Basically, everyone was housed through them."
Thirty Maple Ridge and six Pitt Meadows firefighters battled the blaze.
@ Copyright 2013